Fun Facts About Snow
Well it’s nearly December and the festive season is just around the corner! Rumour has it we’re going to have a white Christmas this year. I love white Christmases, because snow is one of my favourite things in the world – after all, I am made out of it!
Check out these crazy facts about snow:
• Snow isn’t actually white! The white colour is an illusion created by the snow reflecting light
• The most snowfall ever recorded in a day was in Silver Lake, Colorado in 1921 – a massive 76 inches!
• 12% of the Earth’s surface is frozen as ice or snow
• The world’s largest ever snowflake was 15 inches wide and 8 inches thick – found in 1887
• When it melts, one inch of snow will only produce less than a 10th of an inch of water
• The average snowflake falls at a speed of 3mph, the same speed as a leisurely stroll
• There are six words for snowflake in the English language: snowflake, flaw, flight, snowblossom, flaughen and flother
• The world’s largest snowman was 122ft tall, and was built in the USA in 2008
• The world’s coolest snowman is… well, that would be me! Mr. Freeze!